Friday 11 September 2015

Beginners Guide to Makeup ♡

I'm sitting in my kitchen with a cup of tea and my phone and I'm in the mood to write a blog post, so that's what I'm going to do.
A lot of times if I ask you guys what posts you want to see people have said drugstore makeup starter kit or beginners makeup bag or something along those lines, so today I thought I would do my 'Beginners Guide To Makeup'.
Makeup is a great thing and I am obsessed with it, but when your starting out it can be quite scary as you are faced with so many different brands and types of products, you don't know where to start.
Brushes
Brushes can make your makeup apply much better and there are a lot of brushes to choose from. If you are on a budget I wouldn't say brushes are the most important thing, but if you have the money it is definitely worth investing in some good brushes. My favourite is by far Real Techniques. They do separate brushes or sets (for example, they have a face set, an eye set, a sculpting set and some other sets) and are amazing quality, they really make your makeup glide on nicely, as well as having an amazing design and feel to them.
If you look in Boots Real Techniques can be very expensive, at around £20 a set and £7-11 for a single brush. But if you look on Amazon, they are always on offer, normally the sets are around £13 instead of £20 so you can get them for an absolute bargain on there.
If you can't stretch to that but really want some brushes, one of my friends has the Professional Cosmetics 32 piece set from Ebay. The brushes are very good quality for around £7 so that may be a better option for some people.
Face
You don't have to wear anything on your face if you don't want to or don't feel you need it but if you do I would opt for just concealer. If you really need the coverage you could go for a BB Cream too but I would recommend keeping it quite light and simple when you start off. The concealers I would recommend are the Collection Lasting Perfection if you have spots you need covering and want quite a heavy concealer but if you just want something lightweight and highlighting for under your eyes, I would recommend the Rimmel Match Perfection.
If you have oily skin and wanted to powder (which isn't essential but some people like to look more matte) I would recommend the Maybelline Matte Maker.
Eyes
The first step to eye makeup would be eye shadow. Obviously if you are only starting out you might want to skip that step but if you do fancy putting on some eyeshadow, I would go for an eyeshadow palette. The Sleek ones are great if you want to try out lots of different looks but £8 could be quite expensive if you are starting out so an alternative to that would be a Collection Eyes Uncovered palette. I picked one up the other day for £4 and I am really loving it, it has six colours in and is quite neutral so that might be a better option for beginners.
Eyeliner is one of my favourite steps but if your starting out you might not want to use an eyeliner. It's quite hard to get the hang of and can look quite harsh if it is applied badly. (Not that I'm saying there's a specific way to do it, there's no right or wrong way to be honest.) I wouldn't recommend you use Eyeliner straight away when you start using makeup.
Mascara is an essential for me. Mascara opens the eyes up and really finishes off a look. If you are starting out and can only buy one product, I would say go for mascara. My holy grail mascara is amazing and for so cheap - only £3! The Collection No Clumps Mascara is the one to go for.
Lips
Baby Lips. I wouldn't recommend wearing bright or dark lipsticks when you are starting out, although you can if you want, I would recommend nude lipsticks or tinted lip balms that give moisturise and a sheen of colour. There are a lot of Baby Lips to choose from, more natural colours and brighter colours in the Electro range, they look nice and give a bit of colour, but not too much, which is nice for starting out with makeup, especially as they are only £2.99.
That is my opinions on starting out with makeup, what you should pick and what to steer clear of for the time being. If you can pick three items I would go for concealer, mascara and lip balm as the three together can make you look put together but still natural so it doesn't look like you are wearing much makeup.
How old were you when you started wearing makeup?
Ellie xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment